Sunday

July 27

So much can happen in a week.

One minute I was hired and the next I was telling my new boss, I won't be coming to the office on Monday.

Yeah, not one of my prouder moments. I don't particularly like fucking people over like that. But I did and I would do it again if I had to. I got a gut feeling and I went with it.

It was Wednesday when I realized that I already hated the job and that I wasn't cut out to do the work. It was Thursday when I got a taste of what the job is really like. Friday, I quit. I think it's reasonable to say that, I not only set light to a bridge, but I firebombed it. I probably will never want to run into any of the people I met in that office ever again. I should just hope Vancouver is big enough.

See, I wasn't fully aware when I took the job of how much free, personal time I was going to have to sacrifice during my first summer in Vancouver. I tried to stay positive when the guy who was training me talked about how stressful and crazy the job can get. I mean, in the week and a half that I was with the company there were at least three instances when the agent was required to work beyond the designated office hours. Suddenly $31 000 doesn't sound like much when you're expected to be available for any possible movie crisis at any possible time.

And trust me, I know that sounds like a spoiled little girl thing to say but, the job just wasn't right for me. For instance, I'd have to use stern, authoritative voices when trying to convince people to take a backgound job when they'd really rather go wake boarding with their friends. I can't do that. I'm way more of a , ok, whatever kinda of girl.

Oh, and the office is in North Vancouver. So I would either have to spend two hours on a bus everyday or buy a car. Neither of which I particularly want to do.

Anyway, that's the story. So now I'm back to the drawing board. I'm going to give the temp/job placement agency a try this week. After the week I had I'd love to take a job photocopying documents for $17/hour. I want as little responsibility as possible so I can save my energy going to art galleries and volunteering at a women's shelter. I want to earn enough so I can take a dance class and actually have time to go. These are the things that are important to me.

On a completely different note my weekend was pretty rad.

Cynthia's friend, Melissa, was visiting from Halifax. I love meeting people who are as sick and twisted as I am. Only people I hang out with would consider making faux vomit noises (all weekend long) hilarious.

Melissa, Cynthia and I spent the weekend shopping. I know, that doesn't sound like something a girl who just quit her job should be doing, but I was really good. My Visa only took about three hits and they were all good investments. Oh! And the shopping was therapeutic. All so justifiable. Either way the shopping extravaganza is done for a while, a very long while.

The best part of the weekend was the Richmond Night Market, where a nice group of East coasters and one Vancouverite spent the night shoving delicious Asian food in their mouths. Can anyone say, takoyaki? How about, BBQ'd squid? Lychee bubble tea with pearls and coconut jelly? Everything was so good, it was ridiculous.

Unfortunately Melissa left for Nova Scotia just a few hours ago and now I'm in my pajama's, ready for bed. I think tomorrow, Cynthia and I are going to the Portebello Market, a fashion and art market here in Vancouver. Except, I'm not going to buy anything. Unless it's awesome and less than five bucks.

That reminds me, I accept donations. (I'm not to proud to ask for handouts.)

Love yous!
xoxox

1 comment:

Shali said...

Hey ChairBear! Good for you to get out of a job that's just going to suck all your energy away. What is it with the film industry and their lameness? I have no doubt that something oodles better will come along. And I'm happy to remain a reference!

On a sidenote, I was at the grocery store the other day and this little Audi TT sportscar was parked over the yellow line, effectively taking up 2 parking spots. It made me think of your Starbucks story when you told off that rich guy.

I smiled
because
You are my hero.

xoxoxo Shal