Saturday

August 2

I had been conjuring up a great blog in my head for the past week but each time I tried to bring it to life it fell flat on its face like a baby learning to walk. So fuck it. It's been over a week since the last blog and I can't keep my adoring fans waiting, now can I?

So let me set the scene for you. It's Saturday afternoon and I haven't brushed my teeth yet. The sky is grey and leaning towards rain. I've got the Fleetwood Mac rockin' my headphones and a big mug of fresh coffee awaking the senses. For everyone else it's the weekend, for me it's just another day of being unemployed. Not that I'm complaining. I'm enjoying this time to myself as much as I possibly can because I'm aware that soon I will be robbed of all this free time and I will once again be a slave to the Man.

Despite being an unemployed bum I've actually accomplished a lot this week and I'm feeling pretty good about life in Vancouver. For instance, on Tuesday I went for my volunteer interview at the Vancouver Rape Relief and Women's Shelter and I start training next week. After my training is finished I will be working a five hour shift once a week on the crisis line. I'm still not entirely sure of what that involves but I am very excited about getting involved with this organization and meeting some of the other women who are involved at the centre.

I also signed up at a job placement agency on Tuesday. I had to go in and do some typing tests, spelling and grammar tests and a Windows test. All of which I apparently did well on. I lend my success to the hours upon hours I spend geeking out on the computer. Never did I really think that being a reclusive computer geek would get me anywhere in life but it seemed to help. I also did a quick interview with one of the headhunters. The interview was pretty straight forward. They just wanted to know what kind of position I was looking for, what kind of salary I was interested in and what kind of person I am. I'm pretty sure I charmed the pants off them, as I usually do.

I also spoke with the Human Resources Director at Studio B Productions, which is an animation studio that is owned by the company I worked for in Halifax, DHX Media. I had sent her my resume when we first got here but they didn't have anything available for me at the time. However, when a position did open the Director was kind enough to email me and let me know that she was interested in meeting with me. So I wrote her back and told her that I was available anytime for an interview. She called me the next day and we had a quick, informal interview over the phone. To make a long story short, she asked me to come in next Tuesday for an interview! Wooooo!

I think I would really like this job. It's in a beautiful building in downtown Vancouver, which also means that it's about a ten minute Skytrain ride. I could also bike there in about 20 minutes on nice days. It's a receptionist position, which means little responsibility outside of office hours. That translates into time for volunteering and dance classes. The pay is nothing to complain about at $15/hour. In any case, I'm pretty stoked to have an interview and I hope everyone will send out good thoughts for me on Tuesday.

So on top of securing a volunteer position, signing with a job placement agency and scheduling a job interview, I've also put in three hours of yoga this week, which is unheard of for me. For anyone who hasn't tried out the Yoga Today website, I highly recommend it. It has a variety of skill levels, the instructions are easy to follow and the hour long videos move at a nice slow pace for the yoga retarded. I'm definitely feeling the three hours of yoga in my body today but despite the pain it also feels really great. I am suddenly aware of muscles in my body that I didn't even know I had. I'm also pretty sure I've grown an inch since I started doing my yoga regularly.

Oh! And I've finished two books this week and started on another, which I'm going to go read now.

I hope all of you are well. Also, I would like you to all do me a little favor. If you look just below this entry there's a little link that says comments, click it and leave me a comment, let me know how you're doing and who's reading this, ok?!

A million hugs and kisses to everyone!
xoxoxox

7 comments:

Shali said...

I am happy you finally blogged. A week is a long time to wait for updates on your exciting life in Van. Congratulations on all the accomplishments of the week. Good work!

I will be in Vancouver on the 19th of this month - less than 3 weeks away! I am flying into Victoria, but then Steve and I are hopping straight on the ferry to come to Van because WE'RE GOING TO SEE RADIOHEAD!!!!!! Amazing! We're spending the first night or two with my friend, Meg, but I'd like to organize something with you and Matt as well for that week. We're probably going back to the island on the 23rd or 24th. Once you land this job (which I know you will), let me know your schedule!

Oh! Did you just feel that? It was a kiss that I blew across the country to you! muah!

xo shal

Natalie Jean said...

oh goodness Shali is cute!
I am going to trip steve at the airport gate and grab his ticket to VC
I will conjure up good luck on tuesday
maybe i will give my lazy ass a dose of yoga tomorrow
I ate mr.noodle and potato chips today
*vomit sound effect*
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
did you feel that? it was a fart that I just blew across the country to you ! puff!

charity dawn said...

hahaha! you guys are awesome. something stinks though...

Shali said...

Hahahahahaha - no word of a lie - I went through my cupboards this morning and hid the Mr.Noodle and threw out the potato chips because Natalie is going to stay at our place this week. I was embarrassed at the idea of her finding these terrible foods in our kitchen! Hahahahhahaa - but she eats them too!

Here is a haiku for you:

Kisses and farts (puff!)
floating across the nation
Ding Dong! The doorbell!

xoxoxox Shal!

Unknown said...

Hi Doll,
Finally got to read your blog.You always make me smile when I read them.You have such a way with words.Had a great day today,Dad home safe and sound.Missing you lots, Glad you enjoyed your training I think you will get alot out of it.Off to bed I go.xoxox Momma

malonecs said...

so i DO stalk you/ read your blog /miss your family. i sent matt a text the other day and apparently you gave me the wrong number cause buddy was not matt however did want to "text chat".... i was not having it.. rape centre hotline sounds good... im still taking babies and ruining families ...Loving It

charity dawn said...

yea! courtney! miss you and the men too!