Friday

August 29

It's a sunny end to a rainy Friday here in Vancouver. The sky has opened and cleared long enough for me to slip out and sit on my front step with a glass of wine and my laptop. I've been meaning to post for a while but every time I opened my computer I would sit and stare at the screen, completely stunned. I can't tell if I'm just so busy and exhausted when I finally find time to write or if I'm just completely overwhelmed by the task of having to write about all the cool things I'm doing.

I know. I'm making you all sick, right? I'm so painfully lame.

Anyway...

I started this part time cafe job last week. It's been fun and the lady who owns the cafe and whom I share my working hours with, is fantastic. I like talking to her about her business and trying to help her come up with ways to bring in more business. I'm currently hoping to help her find some local artists who would like to show their work in her cafe, which I think could be a good start. I've also been bringing in some old black and white films that she projects on the one wall, which has been fun and brings a lot of life to the cafe. There is nothing better than a little Fassbinder on a rainy day. In any case, my time spent at the cafe is helping me stay motivated to find a good full time job that has me doing work that makes me happy, because working in a cafe is fun but it doesn't exactly make me happy. You know?

The biggest highlight of my last few weeks was my visit from Shali and Steve from Halifax. It was a super short visit but it was so great and we really crammed a lot of excitement into the few hours we had. In about eight hours we: met for lunch, drank a beer, went to my place, drank a bottle of wine, watched My So-Called Life, chatted, went for Indian food with a friend of Shali's and saw Vicky Cristina Barcelona (which was really good and now has me completely obsessed with everything Spanish). It was really surreal having my East coast life meet up with my West coast life and it REALLY made me miss my ladies in Halifax but it also made me excited for any visitors I might have in the future (hint hint nudge nudge).

I also got my library card last week, which might not sound all that exciting to most of you but if you've ever seen the Vancouver Central Library you would understand. Seriously, every book you could ever imagine is probably there and it's by far the biggest library I've ever been in. I've been borrowing poetry books and art books and old foreign films constantly since I got my card. To be honest, it's the library that has been the source of a lot of my pleasure lately. I love going there after work and eating my lunch in the courtyard, then spending an hour or two roaming the isles for great reads. I think about my dear Ms. Slater a lot when I'm there. She would love it.

Some other cool things:
  • I talked to a dance studio about volunteering a few hours a month in exchange for dance classes
  • The Mirah show last week was awesome. Simply awesome.
  • I work at the women's shelter tomorrow, which is exciting since I haven't actually been there yet. (training is held at a different location)
  • I've watched the following wicked films: Veronika Voss, the Elephant Man, 8 1/2, Funny Face, and the Silence.
  • We're painting the kitchen and the bathroom this weekend. And we will finally have a sink in our bathroom
  • I'm going out for Caribbean food tonight with my cousin Jolene and her husband, Justin.
Ok. I'm done. I'm going. I promise I'll write more frequently and try to avoid being as lame as I have been.

Loves and hugs.
xoxoxox

2 comments:

Natalie Jean said...

OH MY!
I love libraries and I love that you are loving your library and I really love that you think of me there!!
I am tres jealous about the selection of checking out possibilities you have there! I had a pang of envy when you listed the movies you have watched since getting your card ..that's it I am going to video difference tonight.
What did you think about The Silence....that movie still haunts me.
love you lady

charity dawn said...

the silence is soooooooo good. one of my favorites so far. i need to watch more bergman.