Friday

June 5

driving machine

So Matt, Tom and I are on the road again. We are happily leaving Ontario and heading towards Winnipeg. We stayed at this really nice capmground last night in Kakabecka Falls which is just outside Thunder Bay.

Yesterday’s weather was rainy and grey but we did manage to get out for a walk in the park and make supper outside. It was actually really fun despite the cold, damp weather with Matt, Tom and I all huddled together under a tarp, sitting at the pcinic table heating up our canned soup and munching on veggies and hummus. Once it started to get dark, the three of us all crawled into the warm, dry truck to watch some episodes of News Radio on my computer.

It was a great end to a rather uncomfortable day. The driving itself wasn’t bad but the mopey weather and the horrible night’s sleep we all got the night before made it a very long day. Matt and I were both exhausted after being tormented all night by mosquitoes buzzing around our heads and a sweet but rather pudgey dog who thinks he’s entitled to half the bed. So it was nice to finally get to our campsite, make some supper and not think about driving for a little while. Also, Matt made a special bed in the front seat for Tom to sleep on. Although he was initially a little insulted that we didn’t want him to sleep with us he settled in and we all had a great night’s sleep.

So here we are on the road again. It’s officially been a week since Matt and I left Nova Scotia and we’ve got about 3500 km under our belt. Matt and I keep busy on the road by looking for trucker bombs and wildlife. Here’s the official count so far:

• Trucker bombs – 5
• Moose – 3
• Deer – 3
• Bear – 1 Mama and her 2 cubs
• Wild Turkey – 1

I haven’t decided yet which has been my favorite, it’s a toss up between the bears and the wild turkey. I’ve also developed this uncontrollable compulsion to wave at the animals when I see them. I know how ridiculous this is but I can’t help it, I’m so excited to see them.

Anyway, I’m currently neglecting my co-pilot duties so I should go. Matt, Tom and I love you all and hope that everything is well for you guys. We will be talking to you soon.

xoxo

No comments: