Saturday

June 11

tom's bath

Well, I suppose some of you are probably anxious to hear how the last few days of the trip have been. Unfortunately, I’ve been busy unwinding from life on the road and have been unable to conjure up that magical blogging mojo you all know so well. So tonight, as I sit in my grandmother’s living room, I have mustered up what I can and will try my best to fill you all in.

So the last time we spoke, the Skingerts were in Edmonton getting ready to set out on the road once again. The drive to Calgary was uneventful. It was your run of the mill three hour drive through cowboy country.

We stopped in Calgary for a quick visit with some of my family. What I had originally thought would be a short afternoon with my Aunt Jen and Uncle George actually turned out to be somewhat of a small family reunion. Aunt Jen, knowing that I would be showing up (later than she expected unfortunately), had invited over her daughter Laurie and Laurie’s two sons Benjamin and Nathaniel, as well as my dear cousin Jolene and her husband Justin. It was such a great visit because it had been easily at least ten years since I had seen Laurie and her family and probably about seven years since I had last seen Jolene. It was particularly nice to visit with Jolene because when we both lived in P.E.I. many moons ago we used to spend a good deal of time together. It was also wonderful to see my Aunt Jen. Unfortunately, my Uncle George, who is one of my most favorite people on earth had left for P.E.I. the day before we got there, so I had missed him by one day.

So after a visit that was much too short we left and decided that we would head towards Banff and stay at one of the campsites there. Once we got to Banff, however, we realized we still had a good hour or so of driving left in us so we wound up driving to Lake Louise and spent the night there.

Lake Louise was not what I had hoped it would be. Although staying overnight in the Rockies was amazing. To be surrounded by such wonders of nature is indescribable. Unfortunately, it was rainy and freezing and all but one of the campsite’s washrooms were closed so it was at least a ten minute walk to take a shit. We had kind of been discussing the possibility of staying in the Rockies one more night but the weather and lack of facilities inspired us to make the push to Penticton.

So about six hours after leaving Lake Louise on Monday morning we were in Penticton hanging out with my grandmother.

The drive here was amazing and the truck handled the tightly wound roads and steep hills better than we had hoped. Actually, I had remembered the drive through the mountains as being more treacherous but the roads were probably some of the best roads we traveled on in all of Canada. We were also lucky because the weather was nice and we got a pretty clear view of the mountains as we drove through.

So far our stay in Penticton has been incredible, in a relaxing and rejuvenating way. Matt and I have spent most of our time chatting with Oma and being fed delicious meals, like roasts and lamb chops and home-made sausages. Matt has also been spending a lot of time helping Oma with her computer. She had a few viruses and what not but Matt has stepped in and exterminated them in his very thorough and diligent way.

Matt and I were also lucky enough to go for a long bike ride on the Trans Canada Trail through the mountains towards Naramata. It’s a beautiful trail through vineyards and orchards with a breath taking view of the mountains and Okanagan Lake. It was also an incredibly hot day with short bursts of rain, so just when you thought you couldn’t bike any further the sky opened up and unleashed a few moments of rain just long enough to cool you off again. It’s moments like these that make me so excited to be living in B.C.

Tom is also enjoying his stay here, visiting with his great grandmother. She really won him over when she sacrificed one of her small rugs for him to lay on and cover with fur. Unfortunately, Tom has acquired a taste for west coast grass and to his embarrassment, his over indulgence resulted in a small puke fest in the living room. So, Matt, Oma and I entertained ourselves while he was bathed in the wash basin in the back yard. I have to say, there is nothing funnier than Tom being bathed.

Well, that’s about the long short of it I suppose. I’m sure I’m lacking a few details you would all enjoy reading about but tough shit. You get what I give you.

Kidding.

Love you guys and I will talk to each and everyone of you soon.

xoxox

No comments: